Thursday, February 18, 2010

African Round Robin

An African mask that I beaded with size 11 multicoloured and abalone style beads and then used some gun metal type size 6 beads for eye collages. I then outlined the complete mask with kreinik metallic braid in overdyed golds to oranges.

A collage of leopards peeking out from behind a cave. I used black anchor floche to outline the leopards and would, if this were my block, trapunto the leopards, by slitting the back lining and inserting some padding.

Also at this stage. I allowed the branches to fall onto the opposite block where the african beautiful lady is started.

I chose to also put a line of orange metallic rick rack and beaded the tops and bottoms.

Personally, I fell in love with this piece of ruffling and have had it for some time now and felt it would look wonderful on a curved seam. I then went back in with size 11 mill hill metallic green beds and tacked down the ruffle on the edge.

The line that is showing above is herringbone stitch in wildflowers by caron in the colour brass. I then went in with metallic dmc harvest and later added a bead at each straight stitch.

This was my first start and favourite piece of the whole block to work on. I chose to use graduated french knots using black anchor floche and allowed it to follow the lines of the hair and become three dimensional. I then added a spangle with seed beads for an ear ring. I used a solid colour in both green and orange for following the lines on the hair band and on the waist of the dress.

Overview of completed block that is leaving tomorrow to go to Marianna's for her artistic talents.

No comments: